Family and Friends,
I want to share a little bit of information about what I have been doing and why. Kim is the most selfless person I have ever met. She always thought of others before herself. Kim has given me so much and I feel like it would be a complete waste if I did not give something back. It is my hope that this scholarship is able to help worthy students at North Carolina State University in Kim's name. I have decided to pair up Kim's scholarship with the Shelton Leadership Center at NC State, named after General Hugh Shelton.
The criteria are as follows:
- Leadership Experience and Potential
- Evidence of Personal Character and Integrity
- Orientation toward Community and Service
- Commitment to Personal Growth
- Commitment to Physical Fitness and Wellness
- Understanding of and Interest in Maximizing the Opportunities of the Gen. H. Hugh Shelton Leadership Center
In addition, the student will have to be in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, where the Communications school is located. I felt that the criteria of the Shelton Leadership Center matched Kim perfectly. Kim's endowment letter expands on these points and I can share that with you separately if you are interested.
This is something that has become very important to me and several of Kim's closest friends the last few weeks. I invite you to forward this information to anyone whom you feel would be interested. NC State requires a minimum of $15,000 to be in the fund before they payout an award. My goal is a modest $50,000!! Of that, 4% is paid as the gift and the rest is reinvested year after year so that the fund stays self sustaining and lasts for as long as NC State lasts. There is no limit to the amount the fund can have, nor is there any deadline on giving. The fund can be added to anytime. I do not gain from this at all. My name is on all of the paperwork, but I am not entitled to any money from this fund, whatsoever. All monies go straight to NC State and into the fund. If you are interested in doing fund raisers, please do. I will try to be as much help as I can from CT, but you don't need me to OK anything. Any money you want to give, and how you raise it, is up to you. Just know that you have my thanks.
I hope that you feel this is a great way to honor a person that has given so much to so many. Kim had so much more left to give to us and to this world. I think it now becomes our responsibility to carry on for her. Below you will find details on the ways you can give. All gifts are tax deductible. It is my understanding that NC State will send a statement to you at years end. In addition, I get quarterly and annual reports on how the fund is doing and the contact information for the students who receive the award.
Methods for giving:
1. The easiest way is to use the pledge form provided here. (This is actually what the university prefers)
2. Call Becky Bumgardner at NCSU at 919-513-4412. She is the person that has been helping me with this the whole time.
3. Online here. If you decide to use this method, is is very important to check the box that says " I would like to enter details about a fund not already listed." because Kim's fund is not listed on the drop down box. When you check the box, you will enter "General Hugh Shelton/Kimberly M. Jessup Memorial Endowed Scholarship" as the name of the fund, otherwise the money may not get allocated appropriately. Then fill out the rest of the form and click "next".
Let's do this for Kim!!
Thanks so much,